Administration of Estates and Probate
Having to deal with a death can be a difficult and stressful time. We have considerable expertise in administering the estate of a deceased person quickly, efficiently and sensitively. The Principal of the firm, Nick Stratford, is a registered trust and estates practitioner and lectures on behalf of BPP University to other solicitors in London, Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds in this area of law.
Our areas of expertise are as follows:
- Assertaining assets and liabilities of the deceased
- Preparing the accounts for the capital taxes office
- Ensuring that the correct amount of inheritance tax is paid
- Drafting of oaths for executors or administrators
- Obtaining grants of probate if the deceased had made a Will
- Obtaining grants of letters of administration if the deceased had not made a Will
- Preparing the estate accounts for the personal representatives of the estate
- Collecting in the assets of the estates and discharging the liabilities
- Dealing with the distribution of assets from the estate to the relevant beneficiaries
- Ensuring any Income Tax liability incurred either prior to death or post death is met by the assets of the deceased’s estate
We will provide a free initial consultation and appointments can be made evenings and weekends to suit your needs including home visits upon request.
How much we charge will depend on the nature and complexity of the estate.
Where we obtain a Grant of Probate only, we will charge a fixed fee of £575 plus VAT.
For a straightforward Estate not involving IHT, we will charge a fee in the range of £1,250 to £2,750 plus VAT.
If the Estate includes IHT to be paid, we would provide a bespoke quote. The minimum fee for this kind of matter would be £3,000 plus VAT.
In additional to the fee, there is likely to be additional disbursements which are payments made on your behalf to third parties.